Both the O-Sentinel and St. Pete Times, as well as Rivals, are now reporting that 4-Star DB Nole commit Terrence Mitchell has made the switch to USF. The Times story gives the most insight, including reasons that motivated the decision by T-Rex (#3 in the photo).
1. He fell in love with the new USF coaching staff.
2. A chance to play with his cousin, RB Lindsey Lamar.
3. Opportunity to see the field early (maybe as a freshman).
4. A short drive for his family to see him play.
5. USF has always been one of Mitchell's favorites.
6. A Hillsborough High teammate also committed to USF Friday.
Hey, you win some and you lose some, especially in recruiting. And if FSU can't turn T-Rex back to the Garnet & Gold, he won't be the last great prospect lured away by Skip Holtz. The Bulls have a serious, big-time coach now. Jim Leavitt put the Temple Terrace school on the map in record time, but Holtz is a major upgrade in many ways -- including the all-important need to put a likable, articulate face on the program. With Holtz on-board and this year's loss to USF, the Noles will find it tougher to land top talent in the bay area and I-4 corridor. And we're talking now and in the foreseeable future. Once the on-deck guy for the Notre Dame job, Holtz knows that unless Brian Kelly stumbles, he couldn't find a better opportunity outside the true elite programs.