1. HEY MARYLAND!! Did you not watch last week’s FSU game against Boston College when the Seminoles thought it would be reeeeeeeeeally nifty to have a Blackout game too? You must have missed how that one turned out. Just a suggestion for the black unis, FWIW … bonfire. On second thought, Florida State fans enjoyed you wearing them. Just forget that piece of advice.
2. In watching the highlight show this afternoon I could not help but notice how empty the stands were behind Bobby and Gene as they did the show on the field. Sort of like how empty they were with 8:44 to play in the game. Must have been the really cold weather that sent the Maryland fans home early. Yeah, that’s the reason.
3. Falling under the category of more than I wanted to see, thank goodness the cameras cut away from Myron Rolle as he changed into his uniform. It was getting pretty close to an X-rated broadcast there for a minute.
4. I just want to take this brief moment to compliment Maryland’s Dave Philistine on a fine tackle of Christian Ponder. Unfortunately for Dave, Ponder was already in the endzone.
5. With Maryland moving the ball in the fourth quarter, Mickey Andrews decided to insert some of the starters back into the lineup which prompted this prophetic comment from William Floyd. “I guarantee you (Terrapin QB) Turner doesn’t want to see Everette Brown again.” Three guesses (and the first two don’t count) on what the next play was.
6. From Gene Deckerhoff on Brown: “Everette Brown is the cashier because he is making the Terrapins pay.”
7. Best comment as the game wore down (again from Floyd): “Right now Maryland is looking like, Coach, will you please run the ball so we can get off the field?”
8. Also from Deckerhoff, “The ‘Noles are playing like we hope they will for the next five or ten years.” What, he couldn’t hope for 100 years?
9. And as John Saunders, Craig James, and Doug Flutie were providing scintillating analyses at the half on the ACC standings, and providing tremendous insight on the various scenarios for the championship game based on their vast and substantial knowledge of the game of college football, there was just one trivial detail they missed. Those standings and team records they were so eloquently elaborating on were the records of the teams from BEFORE last week’s games were played.
10. If you missed the gentleman who was providing those little memory tricks to remember which ACC team is in which division, what’s so hard about that? It’s easy to remember who is where. Florida State and Clemson are in Atlantic because they're not on the coast. Miami is of course in the Coastal because it’s on the Atlantic. NC State, UNC, and Duke are in the Triangle Division. Tech and Tech …. well, they are in the Technical Division of course. BC is in the Frigid North Division. Maryland and UVA are in the Frigid But Not Quite As Much North Division.
11. With Charlie Weis’ continued tenure as the head coach of Notre Dame in doubt after losing to Syracuse, here’s a suggestion as to his successor; Greg Robinson. He’s available.
12. Best sign seen at the Penn State game: “Man, it’s cold.” UNFORTUNATELY at the time of the sighting it was written on the chest of a shirtless young man.
13. Washington and Washington State yesterday as they do every year played for the Apple Cup. It doesn’t matter who won because both teams are, dare we say it …. crap. Which prompts the question perhaps they should have re-named it the Crapple Cup?
14. In pursuing a list of coaches in waiting that was flashed onto the TV screen during a game, one named jumped out. No, it wasn’t Jimbo Fisher. It was Joker Phillips as the coach in waiting for Kentucky. Just a guess that there will be numerous jokes from Wildcat opponents about that one.
15. With Mrs. BFT hailing from the state of Michigan and still having some allegiance to the Wolverines. and myself arriving in the Sunshine State via Ohio and thus still following the Buckeyes, the annual rivalry game between Ohio State and Michigan is always of some interest to us. Yes, we become a divided household. So after yesterday’s 42-7 Buckeye drubbing of Michigan the theme for the rest of the day centered around “Your team sucks!!!!” Bet I’m going to be paying for that profuse amount of trash talking for a while.