1. Had a reputation as the top recruiter on Georgia Tech’s staff. Responsible for bringing in some of the team’s best talent. Continues the strong presence in Alabama started by Demayune Craig. Kelly is a native Alabamian, played at Auburn and has long-term relationships in the state that helped land players players like Tevin Washington and Orwin Smith.
2. Has been defensive coordinator at three schools: Jacksonville State, Nicholls State and Henderson State. He was also being considered for Tech's D.C. after serving as interim coordinator for half the season when Al Groh was fired.
3. Improved Tech’s defense almost overnight. After Kelly replaced Groh the Jackets defense was clearly improved, especially in basics like tackling. They held the Noles scoreless in the second half of the ACC title game and allowed Southern Cal a mere seven points in the Sun Bowl
4. Experienced special teams coordinator. Kelly served as Tech’s full-time special teams coach for two years, so it’s conceivable he might handle those duties at FSU along with coaching LBs.
5. A reputation for not just coaching but developing players. “He made me a better player by never letting me get comfortable, always pushing me to do better,” said former Tech safety Rashaad Reid.