1. So, after securing a berth in the ACC Championship game in two weeks by virtue of easily dispatching the Terrapins, is there any game of interest to Florida State in the interim week? Any game at all? Anything that might be of profound interest to FSU? Something that might ignite the passion of Seminole football fans?
2. But really, didn't the Terrapins look REEEEEEEEALLY spiffy in those new special ops unis in being routed 41-14 by FSU? Of course the yellow soles on the shoes looked like there was a flag thrown on every other play, bringing out the whole FSU/ACC referees where's that "Fire Doug Rhodes" website paranoia in me?
3. Observing at the start of the game the number of empty seats at Byrd Stadium, it obviously was a late arriving crowd for Maryland. Apparently that late arriving crowd got one look at the scoreboard with FSU up 14-0 just minutes into the game and turned around and left.
4. So the Terps were down to something like their 11th string QB, a converted LB who was an option QB in high school. After numerous times of FSU's DL meeting at the QB, I can't help but wonder if Shawn Petty was hoping he could opt out of playing that position?
5. Sign seen at the aforementioned FSU/Maryland game: "Fear the Turtle". I should? Really?? ..... Really????
6. Nice job by Chad Abram in performing his own version of that "Hello" commercial in blasting that Terp kick off returner, whose name I forget, causing a fumble. My guess is after that hit that guy forgot his name briefly as well.
7. Apparently Gene Deckerhoff can read lips and all the way from the press box to boot, noting that Bjorn Werner said to Petty, who unloaded the ball in rather rapid fashion upon getting a glimpse of the number 95 about to be imprinted on his chest, "It's a good thing you got rid of that ball because I was about to use you as a plow." There is no truth to the rumor that Bjorn said it in German.
8. There is also no truth to the rumor that the Terps' head coach, Randy Edsall, said after seeing his team quickly down by two TDs, "Maybe I should have received instead of kicking off first."
9. Apparently Mrs. BFT has a direct line to the headset of Jimbo Fisher. With time running out in the first half and the Seminoles not moving the ball down the field quickly enough to suit the Mrs. came the comment from the couch, "I wish they would show a little more alacrity in going for a score here." The next play....the 30 yard TD pass to Rashad Greene. Jimbo aims to please his fans. And she was. I'm guessing so was everyone else who was watching the game. Well, maybe not the Terrapin fans. Including the late arriving seats.
10. Maryland has a Wildcat like formation they call....drum roll please....the Wild Crab formation!!! You know, maybe if they focused on actually winning games instead of developing cute sounding names for plays and deciding which of the roughly 47 different uniform combinations they should wear they might just be a decent team.
Bonus Fervently Random and Truthfully Meaningless Thoughts
12. That loud cheer you heard with 37 seconds left in the game? That was not the Maryland fans (including the late arriving seats) cheering for the last minute touchdown by the Terrapins. But rather it was from those interested parties that saw their recreational short term investments on Maryland pay off.
13. Sign seen at ESPN's Gameday show at the University of Oregon: "What the Duck!!" and boy, aren't we glad he spelled that one correctly -- but I digress. I'm guessing that little did that Duck fan know how appropriate his sign would be following the conclusion of their game with Stanford.
14. Perusing ESPN's ACC website following the conclusion of Saturday's activities, I came across this enlightening headline. "Instant Analysis: Notre Dame 38 WF 0". Summing it up for you .... the Deacs got their butts kicked!!!! How's that for instant? See there, I just saved you two minutes of your time.
15. In Missouri's case, apparently Syracuse plays old man football too.