2. Be truthful now. How many of you were convinced that it would come down to Florida State not even getting an opportunity at a FG on that last drive? And you were RIGHT!!!!!
3. Alright!!! Who replaced Ron Cherry with a better than good ACC referee? Come on, fess up. Who's responsible here? We want to know.
4. With Virginia Tech having the momentum and FSU needing a drive, what ensued instead was a sack, a delay of game penalty backing up the Seminoles even more, and of course the safety after Devonta Freeman's attempted "pass" to avoid the tackle in the endzone. Prompting that sage philosopher, Mrs. BFT, to make the salient observation, "Well, that series went well."
5. And pursuing the message boards following the aforementioned safety debacle came the post that caught my eye: "We need a new OC now!!!" Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't we wait until the game is over first?
6. Just playing what if had FSU lost and turning to the political front given this past week's elections. For you Republican Seminole fans it would have been the perfect ending to a dismal week. For you Democrat 'Noles it would have been a huge downer to a perfect week. And for those garnet and gold supporters who voted third party ...... I have absolutely no clue which way it would have been for you.
7. As many have observed over the weeks of this 2012 campaign (we're not talking politics now), FSU's defense has struggled to cover the underneath routes as was the case again Thursday night at Lane Stadium. One message board poster noted that not covering the opponent's tight end in the Bowden era has now been replaced by not covering the shallow crossing route. Change you can believe in!!!! Well, I guess we got back to politics. Sorry, sorry everyone.
8. Along with the come from behind victory, there was even better news. Statisticians keeping track of FSU's rushing yards were very well rested. Although I have it from reliable sources that at least one stats keeper asked where they could find the subtraction key on the calculator.
9. Virginia Tech's football team likes to play with a lunch pail attitude and ESPN gave TV viewers the obligatory camera shot of the team's lunchbox. After getting a look at said lunch bucket you would think they could at least afford one that wasn't plain, bland, and all dented up like that. Maybe we could chip in and get them a nice new one. Maybe with a picture of the Little Mermaid or something on it.
10. And speaking of subtraction keys, for a while there I thought it would have been easier add up the FSU plays that went for positive yardage.
Bonus Belatedly Random and Boy Are These Meaningless Thoughts
12. Also from a reliable source, following the conclusion of the first half of the Miami/UVa game where each team scored on four of their five possessions, the stats keeper had to be replaced due to exhaustion.
13. Something I've wondered about for a little while now. You know that TV commercial where the woman is at a car dealership to purchase a new car and a miniature head in her likeness pops out of her beehive hairdo and starts singing? And the salesman doesn't faint dead away or run away screaming???? Like he sees this sort of thing everyday? Man, I wonder what part of the country he's living in.
14. And turning to the world of college basketball that began on Friday, see if you can spot the error in this boxscore.
Cincy Christian 25 31 119 Final
Eastern Kentucky 49 40 158
I am guessing whoever added that up did not do well in calculus. Either that or he needs help with the addition key. This of course is just a guess.
15. And speaking of basketball .... are we sure the basketball teams for GT and UNC did not don the pads and helmets in Tech's 68-50 victory over the Tar Heels? Dean Smith's four corners offense was definitely NOT in play in that game.
Bonus Bonus Belatedly Random and Boy Are These Meaningless Thoughts
16. Best sign seen at Gameday: "Go USA! back to back World War Champs."
17. And back to the world of TV commercials .... just asking. That commercial where the high school football player somersaults over the defender on an attempted tackle and then the numerous (and eventually annoying) "Hello" responses ending with Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops adding his own hello when meeting the player ..... has anyone checked into whether that occurred during an acceptable coaches' contact with players period? Just asking.
18. And back to FSU and Jimbo's perceived conservative play calling .... I'm going to go out on a limb and make a wild guess that no Seminole fan had any problem with the extremely conservative, we're talking ultra here, play he called following Tyler Hunter's interception on VT's final drive of the game. Am I right? Huh?Am I?
19. Following Auburn's 38-0 loss to Georgia, you have to ask, will Gene "Fricking" Chizik be fired? Oh, probably about as much chance as short term investments (for recreational purposes only) paying off when taking FSU's opponent when the 'Noles are on the road and favored by double digits.
20. Taking trash talking to new levels came with this tete-a-tete between the head coaches of Robinson High School and Plant High preceding their annual rival clash on Friday night. Robinson's head coach DePue described this game as "the plutocrats (Plant) versus the working class (Robinson)." Plant coach Robert Weiner responded by saying DePue may be overly "grandiloquent" for such an occasion. The only thing missing there was "YOUR MOMMA!!!" in that back and forth. In case there aren't any dictionaries nearby, the definition of a plutocrat is, "a wealthy class that controls a government," and "grandiloquent" is defined as "pompous or extravagant in language, style, or manner, exp. in a way that is intended to impress." BTW, the plutocrats controlled the grandiloquents 26-24. Just thought you might like to know.