1. Aren't homecoming games supposed to be against doormat cupcakes that your team just rolls over and runs off the road? And here we bring in the Coastal Division leader with a 6-2 record and fresh off a comeback win over North Carolina. I mean a homecoming opponent is a team you are supposed to flatten by scores like 48-7. On second thought .....
2. Or as Gameday's Lee Corso put it, "Duke? ........... No chance." Not exactly true, Lee. There's always a chance. In this case about as much chance as Gene Deckerhoff seeing that pig flying over Sun Life Stadium last week.
3. Following that 75 yard punt return for a touchdown and several long returns by Tyler Hunter, the thought came to mind that Jimbo Fisher changing the punt returner maybe wasn't such a good idea after all. IT WAS A GREAT IDEA!!!! Well, it was a great idea for most of the game, if you know what I mean.
4. After last week's stellar officiating job where several offensive pass interference calls were made against Kelvin Benjamin, raise your hand please if you wondered where the flag was for said offense on Benjamin's ankle breaking crumple to the ground juke on Duke CB Lee Butler.
5. And on said game from last week, I am sure all FSU fans hope crew chief David Epperley enjoyed his weekend off.
6. The wit and Wisdom of Mrs. BFT. Following Duke's ill-fated onside kick to start the 3rd quarter that resulted in not recovering the ball but included an illegal touching penalty giving the ball to FSU at the Duke 29 yard line and two plays later a Devonta Freeman touchdown run came the question from the couch, "I wonder if they will try that again?" BTW, if you didn't see the rest of the game ..... they didn't. Good choice.
7. You know that sound car tires make on the pavement when you hit the brakes too hard, that screeching sound? Envision that sound made by William Floyd in his color analysis of Freeman's coming to a dead stop on a dime move at the line of scrimmage as he immediately changed direction to go around right end. Who knew Bar None did sound effects so well?
8. The award for best description of the Seminoles' prowess on kickoff coverage goes to Deckerhoff for his, "they make aspirin for guys who want to return kickoffs against Florida State" following yet another slobberknocking of the ball carrier at the 17 yard line.
9. The "You Knew It Was Coming Award" goes to ESPNU for flashing Duke PK Ross Martin's statistic of making 14 straight field goals. The result of his 24 yard attempt? Oh, do I even have to say it?
10. Congrats to Louisville in winning its annual Keg of Nails game against Cincinnati. But if I understand college kids correctly, wouldn't they rather be playing for a keg of beer?
Bonus Inwardly Random and Dubiously Meaningless Thoughts
12. Sign seen at Gameday's show at Norman, Oklahoma: "I couldn't think of anything." That was obvious. Well, it was early in the morning for a college student to get up. Maybe he had a sleeping injury.
13. Turning to the pro game, FSU's own Christian Ponder has been struggling as of late, almost as if he has been distracted. But really, if it was you and you were dating Samantha Steele wouldn't you be distracted too?
14. And speaking of the aforementioned blonde, blue eyed, shapely, young ..... did I say blonde? .... ESPN analyst, Steele mentioned she recently received a traffic ticket. So this babe du jour could not eye bat her way out of a citation and this police officer gave her a ticket? What .... is he gay or something? NOT that there's anything wrong with that.
15. By now we are all familiar with the character known as "Mayhem" in those TV commercials. And they brought back an oldie but a goodie with Mayhem driving the riding lawn mower to cut the grass while it picked up loose stones, throwing them through windows, cars, etc. And then came the disclaimer at the bottom of the ad .... "Demonstration Only ..... Do Not Attempt." I can see it now ... "Hey Marjorie ... I'm headed outside for a bit. I'm gonna get the John Deere outta the shed and try sumpthin' I just saw on the tellyvision."
Bonus Bonus Inwardly Random and Dubiously Meaningless Thoughts
16. And what Random and Meaningless Thoughts would not be capped off on this perfect weekend where FSU demolished its opponent and moved back into first place in the Atlantic Division thanks to UNC's win over NC State, a weekend of cooler weather, Halloween approaching .... we would be remiss if we did not mention you know who from that place you know where playing in a game formerly known as the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party dropped like a lead balloon from the ranks of the unbeaten. Or said another, simpler way, the gatros (their ... aka crocs of XXVI) LOST!!!!
17. Repeat number 16.
18. Repeat number 17.
19. Repeat numbers 16 thru 18.
20. Repeat ..... well, you get the idea.